Paint the Lawn Green
That’s right folks, summer is here 🙂 Though if you lived in Vancouver you wouldn’t know it – two glorious days of sunshine now followed by mixed sun, intermittent showers, and rainy days ahead. Though today was nice and sunny! I’m not complaining however, since we just planted a new lawn and could use the rain to keep the grass green.
I understand in Arizona they actually paint their lawns green in summer, so I guess I should be thankful our lawns are real in Vancouver! Seems like everything always comes down to looks. How green is your lawn?
Me & My Money
Back on June 10th, I was featured in the Globe And Mail, Me & Money Column. This is a weekly column that focuses on individual investors, a brief snippet of their trials, tribulations, and how they invested during the financial crisis. I’d like to thank Larry MacDonald for featuring me:
I’m also pleased to announce I’ve published my first article in print, The Dividend Payout Ratio. This is a detailed and in depth continuation of my original blog post, on this often overlooked but important dividend ratio. This article has been accepted by the Canadian MoneySaver, and will be printed in their July 2011 edition. Unfortunately the recent postal strike means subscribers will only be able to view the online issue for now. Back in my late 20’s I remember reading my first issue, so I’m quite delighted to be contributing several years later 🙂
Canadian MoneySaver is a leading print and online magazine for Canadian Investors established since 1981, which is distributed nationally in chains such as Coles and Chapters.
The Weekly Lineup
- Boomer (Boomer & Echo) wrote an article on joining Share Clubs and Investment Clubs in: Join An Investment Club. This is something I have wanted to do for a while now here in the west-side of Vancouver. So if anyone is interested drop me an email, and perhaps we can put an informal group together.
- Maria Konnikova discusses why women are better investors than men, in The Female Investor.
- Dividend Mantra reviewed Lockheed Martin and Raytheon in his recent post: Defence Stocks on Sale? These are excellent reviews. Ultimately there is also a moral issue to these stocks above and beyond the potential for profit.
- Young and Thrifty wrote about the recent Riots in Vancouver in The Young and the Restless, and asks what went wrong? Answer: Perhaps allowing 100K people to conglomerate downtown without decent crowd control. That evening looked more like the LA Riots after the Rodney King trial in 1992.
- And for something less controversial, My Own Advisor opens up the eternal dividend versus index debate, in his recent post: Meeting Larry Swedroe. MOA, sorry for taking up your comments man! 😉
Index Investing Myths
Heard enough about Index Investing already? Well you’re going to hear more, since I’m launching a three part series on Index Investing Myths. In fact many people don’t even know what index investing is about, or think it’s all based on derivative products. There is also confusion about the differences between Mutual Funds, Index Funds, and ETFs. So I’m going to cover some of these misunderstandings.
Have a nice weekend everyone 😉