Alternative Investment Opportunity Conference
Tired of Stock Market Volatility? Discover Investments beyond stocks, bonds and mutual funds!
No joke! That’s the tag line for the Alternative Investment Opportunity Conference here in Vancouver, June 11th, 2011. Not too sure where the lack of volatility would be in Oil & Gas stocks, green energy, or real estate for that matter? But the conference looks like a real blast, and lots of really interesting information to be gathered, and perhaps written in a future post.
You’ll recognize the keynote speakers, Andrew Bell from BNN (Business News Network), and Bill Rancic who was Donald Trump’s first apprentice. There are many other speakers, and some interesting topics, and the conference is right here in my home city! I love business and networking events, so this will be a lot of fun.
I’ll be keeping to my index funds and dividend paying stocks for now 😉
The Weekly Lineup
Here are some great posts that caught my attention this week:
- Million Dollar Journey took a detailed look at Covered Call ETFs – HEX and ZWB. With current yields of 15.5% (HEX) and 9% (ZWB), it’s no wonder these actively managed ETFs are drawing some attention for income and dividend investors. However, buyer beware, history and performance is limited.
- Pat Flynn wrote an exceptional article on 5 Things You can Do to Market and Promote Your Website. This is an information-packed post that any website owner should review, especially if “website marketing” isn’t a term you are comfortable with.
- Sigma Swan wrote an excellent piece on How to Spot a Stock Market Bargain. I too love to buy my stocks on sale! After all that is the essence of value investing. I wrote about that back in an October post, Bad News Investing – Profit from Crisis. I picked up a lot of “stock market bargains” in 2010!
- Kanwal Sarai wrote a piece on companies that have been paying dividends for over 115 years in Paying Dividends Since the Nineteenth Century. No surprises, these are all big blue chips you will recognize! If you are starting out on your dividend investing journey, then stick with the big safe blue chips. Though keep in mind many are trading at 52 week highs – the premium for safety!
- Dividend Monk wrote a great post on the U.S. healthcare sector, in 6 Significant Dividend Yields in the Healthcare Industry. Well done Monk!
- Dividend Mantra gets a new set of wheels in My New Ride! That makes two of us Mantra! I live close to work as well, and save hundreds of dollars per month by taking public transit 🙂 That’s more money to invest. No wonder U.S. stocks are getting so expensive, Mantra has been buying them up!
- Andrew Hallam asks if you were thrown into a cryogenic chamber for 80 years, and could only pick one stock to wake up to – which one would you pick? A fun post. Of course I’m sure most people would pick KO, JNJ, etc. but I think the Royal Bank of Canada (RY-T) will still be around, and worth far more than I paid for it. Let’s face it – banks still own the world. Canadian banks made it through the 2008-2009 financial crisis, and European debt woes, virtually unscathed 😉
Have a nice weekend everyone! 🙂
If you enjoy receiving the Dividend Ninja in your mailbox, don’t forget to also subscribe to the Dividend Ninja Newsletter (and if you don’t like it – subscribe anyway). Thanks for reading!